The Open Forum on Agricultural Biotechnology (OFAB) Nigeria Chapter has launched the call, inviting application for the second edition of its media award. This award aims at recognizing exemplary journalism that stimulates best practices in adoption of agricultural technologies – particularly agricultural biotechnology.
The African wide award known as the Pan-African Agricultural Innovations in Agriculture and Development (PAID) was initiated to reward and promote credible agricultural biotechnology reportage. The award also seeks to recognize outstanding journalist in all media genres involved in the coverage of agricultural biotechnology stories in Sub-Saharan Africa. The awards are in the following categories;
- Agricultural Biotechnology Impact Story Award
- Agricultural Biotechnology Journalist of the year Award
iii. Emerging Biotechnology Journalist Award (18 to 25 years)
- Biotechnology Blogger Award
- Agricultural Biotechnology Documentary Award
According to Dr Rose Gidado, Country Coordinator, OFAB Nigeria, PAID award acknowledges the critical role media plays in educating and informing the public about agricultural biotechnology.
The specific objectives of the award include the following:
- To appreciate the contribution of journalists in promoting sustainable agricultural technologies particularly agricultural biotechnology
- To improve the quality of agricultural journalism and motivate journalists and media houses to capture impact stories and report on innovative agricultural biotechnology and other agricultural technologies.
- To promote innovative best-practices in agricultural biotechnology and other agricultural technologies that address challenges of food insecurity, climate change and sustainable development.
- The award is open to ALL science journalists in Nigeria, in the broadcast (television, radio, and online) and print media
- The entry should be a story published or aired between June 2017 and June 2018
- Only one entry is allowed per applicant
Journalists are encouraged to visit www.ofabnigeria.com to complete an online form and submit their entries.